[Colloquium] Department of Statistics Seminar

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 17 09:44:25 CDT 2013

Department of Statistics
STATISTICS COLLOQUIUM

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM
133 Eckhart Hall, 5734 S. University Avenue

ANNA GILBERT
Department of Mathematics
University of Michigan

Title: “Modal Analysis with Compressive Measurements”

Abstact
Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) systems are critical for monitoring aging infrastructure (such as buildings or bridges) in a cost-effective manner. Such systems typically involve collections of battery-operated wireless sensors that sample vibration data over time. After the data is transmitted to a central node, modal analysis can be used to detect damage in the structure. In this talk, we propose and study three frameworks for Compressive Sensing (CS) in SHM systems; these methods are intended to minimize power consumption by allowing the data to be sampled and/or transmitted more efficiently. At the central node, all of these frameworks involve a very simple technique for estimating the structure’s mode shapes without requiring a traditional CS reconstruction of the vibration signals; all that is needed is to compute a simple Singular Value Decomposition. We provide theoretical justification (including measurement bounds) for each of these techniques based on the equations of motion describing a simplified Multiple-Degree-Of-Freedom (MDOF) system, and we support our proposed techniques using simulations based on synthetic and real data.

Joint work with Jae Young Park and Michael Wakin.

For further information and inquiries about building access for persons with disabilities, please contact Dan Moreau at 773.702.8333 or send him an email at dmoreau at galton.uchicago.edu.

Refreshments following the seminar in Eckhart 110