[Colloquium] Colloquium Talk Reminder! Speaker: Prof. Daisuke Kihara (Purdue)

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Thu May 16 10:32:54 CDT 2013

When:     Monday, May 20th at 10:30a-12:00p

Where:    Computational Institute, 5735 S. Ellis Ave. Room 240A

Who:       Prof. Daisuke Kihara, Purdue University

Title:        Predictions of Structures of Protein Interactions

Abstract:

Protein-protein binding events mediate many important biological functions
in a cell. To provide molecular view of interacting proteins, our group has
been developing a series of methods for predicting protein docking
interfaces as well as the three dimensional structure of protein docking
complexes. In this presentation, first we will introduce a protein docking
algorithm, LZerD. LZerD uses the 3D Zernike descriptor, a rotational
invariant mathematical representation of protein surfaces, to detect shape
complementarity of interaction sites. Then, I will introduce our methods
for predicting docking interface regions in protein surfaces, which detects
binding site specific mutation patterns (BindML). As a subsequent work, we
have developed a protein docking algorithm, which uses imperfect predicted
protein-protein docking interface information (PI_LZerD). Finally, we
present Multi-LZerD, which can predict the structure of multiple docking
proteins by combining pairwise docking prediction computed by LZerD and the
EM-LZerD method that fit multiple component structures into a
low-resolution electron microscopy maps.