[Colloquium] Reminder: Seminar Announcement: Algorithms and Services for Genome Assembly

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 24 15:25:16 CDT 2013

~Reminder~

Computation Institute Presentation

Speaker: Fangfang Xia, Assistant Computer Scientist, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory
Date: July 25, 2013
Time: 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Location:  University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Ave.  This talk will be broadcast via Adobe Connect (see below)

Algorithms and Services for Genome Assembly

Abstract:
Genome assembly is the process of reconstructing entire DNA sequences from fragmentary input. While high-throughput sequencing technology has revolutionized the field of genomic science, assembly, often the first step of many bioinformatics pipelines, remains a computationally expensive problem which is further compounded by the difficulty to evaluate its accuracy. In this talk, I will describe the assembly algorithms, applications and practices. I will focus on a parallel tool we have developed for metagenomic assembly and discuss how it could be improved by building on a kmer-matching library. Finally, I will touch on an extensible pipeline service we are developing to help users find the best assembly.

Information: This talk will be broadcast to Argonne National Laboratory, TCS Building 240, Room 5172. You may also join the broadcast from your location by joining Adobe Connect Meeting.

To join the meeting:
http://anl.adobeconnect.com/tcs-ci
-Enter as a guest

If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:

Test your connection:
http://anl.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm

Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/go/connectpro_overview