[Colloquium] TTIC Talks: Hyun Soo Park, CMU

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:24:44 CST 2013

Who:     Hyun Soo Park, CMU

When:   Thursday, February 28 @ 11 a.m.

Where:  6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, Room #530

Title:     Understanding a Social Scene from Social Cameras

A social camera is a camera carried or worn by a member of a social group,
(e.g., a smartphone camera, a hand-held camcorder, or a wearable camera).
These cameras are becoming increasingly immersed in our social lives and
closely capture our social activities. In this talk, I argue that social
cameras are the ideal sensors for social scene understanding, as they
inherit social signals such as the gaze behavior of the people carrying
them. I will present a computational representation for social scene
understanding from social cameras. A social scene, in general, involves
various human interactions in the form of visible social signals, such as
body gestures, gaze directions, or facial expressions.

In the first part of my talk, I will show how these social signals can be
recovered in 3D. This work includes 3D trajectory reconstruction and motion
capture from body-mounted cameras. The second part of the talk will focus
on how the reconstructed signals can discover social salience via a gaze
concurrence analysis. Social salience is the 3D location of what people pay
attention to and our method reconstructs the spatio-temporal structure of
social salience that may occur in the social scene.

Bio:

Hyun Soo Park is a Ph.D. student in Mechanical Engineering at Carnegie
Mellon University under the supervision of Prof. Yaser Sheikh. He is
interested in computer vision, graphics, and robotics. The main focus of
his research is developing a computational basis for social scene
understanding. He received his bachelor’s degree from POSTECH, Korea in
2007, and master’s degree from Carnegie Mellon University in 2009.

Host: Raquel Urtasun, rurtasun at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Director of Human Resources and International Affairs

Toyota Technological Institute Chicago
6045 S Kenwood Ave
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone- (773) 702-5033