[Colloquium] Fwd: Machine Learning Seminar: Peter Carbonetto, UofC, Dept. of Human Genetics

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Wed Feb 6 11:12:54 CST 2013

REMINDER:

When:     Thursday, February 7th at 12:00

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Who:     Peter Carbonetto, UofC, Dept. of Human Genetics

Title:       From genome-wide mapping to pathway models of complex disease

Genome-wide association studies have helped us locate many of the gene
variants that affect our susceptibility to common diseases and medical
conditions. Typically, the analysis of these studies proceeds by assessing
whether each genetic variant is correlated with susceptibility to disease.
In this talk, I describe an alternative view based on *modeling* the
pattern of these disease-variant associations across the genome. I discuss
the computation challenges of applying this approach to the large-scale
data sets encountered in genome-wide association studies, and I describe
our solution that builds on Bayesian variable selection and variational
methods from machine learning. I also illustrate how we can use this
approach to learn about the gene networks or "biological pathways"
underlying a common autoimmune disease.

Host: Samorty Kpotufe, samory at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Director of Human Resources and International Affairs

Toyota Technological Institute Chicago
6045 S Kenwood Ave
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone- (773) 702-5033