[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: Visualization of genomic data: results, challenges, and open questions

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 16 13:16:58 CDT 2013

Computation Institute Presentation

Speaker: Dr. Inna Dubchak,  Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory/Joint Genome Institute
Date: August 22, 2013
Time: 10:30 AM
Location: University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Ave.

Visualization of genomic data: results, challenges, and open questions
As our ability to generate huge amounts of sequencing data continues to increase, data analysis is becoming the rate-limiting step in genomics studies. There are a number of graphical methods designed for the analysis of genome assemblies, genome browsing, comparative genomics, etc. Visualization tools facilitate analysis tasks by enabling researchers to explore, interpret, and manipulate their data. We will highlight new challenges in visualization that are not only a consequence of the sheer volume and complexity of genomic data, but also it's increasing utility outside genomics research. Traditional genome visualization approaches do not meet the needs of emerging fields such as medical genomics and metagenomics, and new paradigms are needed.