[Colloquium] Theory Seminars at Computer Science

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 26 11:33:24 CDT 2013

THEORY SEMINAR

Tuesday, April 30, 2013
3:00 p.m.
Ryerson 251

Dhruv Mubayi
University of Illinois at Chicago
homepages.math.uic.edu/~mubayi/

Title:  Quasirandom Hypergraphs

Abstract: Since the foundational results of Thomason and Chung-Graham-Wilson on quasirandom graphs over 20 years ago, there has been a lot of effort by many researchers to extend the theory to hypergraphs. I will present some of this history, and then describe our recent results that provide such a generalization and unify much of the previous work. One key new aspect in the theory is a systematic study of hypergraph eigenvalues. If time permits I will show some applications to Sidorenko's conjecture and the certification problem for random k-SAT.

This is joint work with John Lenz.

Host: Prof. Alexander Razborov

*Refreshments will be served prior to the talk at 2:30 in Ryerson 255*