[Colloquium] Talk Reminder: Tomorrow at 11!

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Tue Apr 23 10:59:16 CDT 2013

When:  Wednesday, April 24th at 11a.m.

Where: TTIC: 6045 S. Kenwood Ave.  Room 526

Speaker: Raman Arora (TTIC)

Title
------
Stochastic approximation algorithms for large-scale unsupervised learning

Abstract
-----------
The nature of signal processing and machine learning has evolved
dramatically over the years as we try to investigate increasingly
intricate, dynamic and large-scale systems. This development is accompanied
by an explosion of massive, unlabeled, multimodal, corrupted and very
high-dimensional "big data", which poses new challenges for efficient
 analysis and learning. In this talk, I will advocate a learning approach
based on "stochastic approximation", wherein a single data point is
processed at each iteration using a computationally simple update, to
address these challenges. I will start by presenting a stochastic
approximation (SA) meta-algorithm for unsupervised learning with large
high-dimensional datasets. I will then describe the application of the SA
algorithm to a multiview learning framework, where multiple modalities are
available at the time of training but not for prediction at test time, and
a similarity-based learning framework where data is observed only in the
form of pairwise similarities. I will conclude with a theoretical analysis
of the SA algorithm and a discussion about the pitfalls of SA approaches
and the remedies thereof.

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Assistant