[Colloquium] Talks at TTIC

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Fri Apr 5 11:50:41 CDT 2013

*

When:  Tuesday, April 9th at 11am

Where: TTIC-6045 S. Kenwood Ave.  Room 526

Speaker: Ofer Meshi (Hebrew University)

Title: Learning Max-margin Tree Predictors

Abstract:

Structured prediction is a powerful framework for coping with joint
prediction of interacting outputs. A central difficulty in using this
framework is that often the correct label dependence structure is unknown.
At the same time, we would like to avoid an overly complex structure that
will lead to intractable prediction. In this work we address the challenge
of learning tree structured predictive models that achieve high accuracy
while at the same time facilitate efficient (linear time) inference. We
start by proving that this task is in general NP-hard, and then suggest an
approximate alternative. Briefly, our CRANK approach relies on a novel
Circuit-RANK regularizer that penalizes non-tree structures and that can be
optimized using a DCA procedure. We demonstrate the effectiveness of our
approach on several domains and show that, despite the relative simplicity
of the structure, prediction accuracy is competitive with a fully connected
model that is computationally costly at prediction time.

This is a joint work with: Elad Eban, Gal Elidan, and Amir Globerson.
*

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Assistant