[Colloquium] Research at TTIC: Anand Sarwate

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Mon Oct 29 09:59:58 CDT 2012

When:     Friday, November 2nd at Noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Who:     Anand Sarwate

Title:       Three short stories about your friends, enemies, and strangers

In this Research at TTI talk I will give three short talks about three very
different projects I have been working on for the last few years:

1 -- A simple model for distributed inference in social networks.  The
emphasis here is on building a simple model/protocol and analyzing when and
how it converges.  I will talk about some results that we do have and some
results we're trying to prove now.

2 -- Communication against eavesdropping adversaries.  I will talk about
some cute problems in information theory when the noise may be coming from
a malicious eavesdropper who can also manipulate the ``noise'' in the
channel.  We have some new results on how well such adversaries can stymie
the communication between the transmitter and receiver.

3 -- Learning under privacy constraints.  This is a talk about how to
publish (publicly) functions of data which is sensitive.  In particular, I
will talk about differential privacy and some work on how well we can learn
a subspace via PCA while preserving the privacy of individual data points.
There are a number of open interesting questions from both theoretical and
practical perspectives.

***************************************
Research at TTIC Seminar Series

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe
send an email to talks+subscribe at ttic.edu

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact Nati Srebro at nati at ttic.edu.

--
Liv Leader
Director of Human Resources and International Affairs

Toyota Technological Institute Chicago
6045 S Kenwood Ave
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone- (773) 702-5033