[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Amnon Shashua, Hebrew University

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Tue Oct 23 09:51:10 CDT 2012

When:     Tuesday, October 30 at 11 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Who:      Amnon Shashua, Hebrew University

Title:       Visual Recognition over Multiple Categories: A Scalable
Framework

Abstract:

Single category visual recognition, i.e., detecting an object category from
an image has witnessed great success in both academic and industrial
contexts. For example, systems today exhibit impressive performance both in
accuracy and realtime efficiency when detecting faces, cars or pedestrians
from images. However, human vision can effortlessly handle thousands of
object classes. The issue of how to cope with the classifier's accuracy and
resource complexity when dealing with a growing number of object categories
largely remains an open problem. I will present a system designed such that
the computational resources grow sub-linearly (poly-logarithmic) with the
number of classes. This also implies that features used for recognition
should be shared by several classes. In the second part of the talk, I will
present an implementation of the algorithm in the context of a system for
the aide of the visually impaired, where the system is trained for realtime
reading (text in the wild, documents, newspapers) and object categorization
and identification. I will also review the activity Orcam is engaged with
to industrialize and commercialize such systems for the visually impaired
(the market, the needs and technological/scientific challenges).

The first part of the talk is on work done jointly with Shai
Shalev-Schwartz (HU) and Yonatan Wexler (Orcam) which appeared at NIPS'11.

Host: Tamir Hazan, tamir at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Director of Human Resources and International Affairs

Toyota Technological Institute Chicago
6045 S Kenwood Ave
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone- (773) 702-5033