[Colloquium] CS Distinguished Lecture Series Seminar

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 22 07:14:59 CDT 2012

Thursday, October 25, 2012
Ryerson 251at 3pm

Partha Ranganathan
Corporate Fellow Hewlett Packard Labs
www.hpl.hp.com/news/2011/oct-dec/ranganathan

Title: "Green clouds and black swans: (Re)Designing data-centric data centers".

Abstract:
We are entering an exciting era for systems design. Digital information is increasing at exponential rates and new applications are being developed to manage and extract fresh insights from such large volumes of data. At the same time, we are seeing interesting inflection points in technology -- faster, more complex, processors are being replaced by simpler, power-efficient multicores; traditional memory and storage technologies are being challenged by new non-volatile memories like phase-change RAM and Memristors; optics is replacing electrical communications. Consequently, traditional approaches to design "better, faster, cheaper" systems will need to be rethought, both at the hardware and software levels. In this talk, I will discuss these recent trends, their implications for future system re-designs, and a potential new approach, nanostores, which cross-cuts the technology, architecture, and software layers for significant benefits.

Host: Prof. Andrew Chien

Followed by refreshments in Ry. 255

Donna Brooms
Department Secretary