[Colloquium] CS Seminar-Sandhya Dwarkadas presents "Scalable Support for Controlled Data and Resource Sharing" - Monday, October 22 at 2:30 pm in Ryerson 251

Natalie Cruz njcruz at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 4 08:05:02 CDT 2012

The University of Chicago Computer Science Department

PRESENTS:

“ Scalable Support for Controlled Data and Resource Sharing”

Sandhya Dwarkadas

Department of Computer Science

University of Rochester

Abstract:

In this talk, I will describe our efforts to improve the scalability, efficiency, and ease of use of emerging, increasingly concurrent, multicore- and accelerator-based hardware. I will begin by showing how we leverage application-specific behavior to design an efficient memory hierarchy. I will describe two ideas: application-specific sharing pattern-based coherence to achieve metadata compression for improved scalability in coherence management; and variable cache line granularity to reduce waste in the cache hierarchy. I will then describe several architectural mechanisms we have designed to handle common time-critical operations useful to a variety of applications --- memory monitoring, programmable data isolation, and fine-grain protection. I will demonstrate their utility for one application, transactional memory, which has emerged as an attractive mechanism for easing the

creation of parallel code. Finally, as time permits, I will highlight the key issues we have addressed

in controlling resource allocation and sharing at the runtime/operating system level in order to effect performance isolation.

Monday, October 22, 2012

2:30 PM

Ryerson 251

Host: Andrew Chien

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For additional information on future CS talks please visit: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events