[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Aren Jansen, Johns Hopkins

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Mon Nov 26 09:15:44 CST 2012

REMINDER:

When:     Tuesday, November 27 at 11 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, Room #526

Who:       Aren Jansen, Johns Hopkins

Title:       Automatically Learning the Structure of Spoken Language
Without Supervision

Abstract:

The dominant paradigm in the speech recognition community for the past four
decades has been to train automatic systems with as much transcribed data
we can get our greedy hands on. This strategy has led to the development of
highly accurate systems that have finally found a place in our daily lives
in the form of popular applications such as Apple iPhone's Siri.  An
unfortunate consequence of this trajectory, however, is that
state-of-the-art recognition performance can only be achieved on languages
and domains for which vast transcribed training resources either exist or
can be easily obtained. Meanwhile, with public internet resources like
YouTube and PodCasts, untranscribed speech audio is abundant and contains a
wealth of hidden information regarding the acoustic-phonetic, lexical,
grammatical, and semantic structure of the language being spoken. The trick
is uncovering this structure automatically, an endeavor that will require
new machine learning techniques, algorithms scalable to massive problem
sizes, and a lot of patience.  I will provide an overview of my efforts in
these directions and describe some useful language- and domain-independent
technologies that have been produced along the way.

http://old-site.clsp.jhu.edu/~ajansen/

Host: Karen Livescu, klivescu at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Director of Human Resources and International Affairs

Toyota Technological Institute Chicago
6045 S Kenwood Ave
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone- (773) 702-5033