[Colloquium] TODAY! Seminar Announcement: Big Data Approaches in Human Genome Analysis

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 9 09:03:06 CST 2012

Computation Institute Presentation

Speaker: Mark Gerstein, Professor, Yale University
Date: November 9, 2012
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Location: University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Avenue

Big Data Approaches in Human Genome Analysis

My talk will be concerned with the analysis of networks and the use of networks as a 'next-generation annotation' for interpreting personal genomes. I will initially describe current approaches to genome annotation in terms of one-dimensional browser tracks. Here I will discuss approaches for annotating pseudogenes and also for developing predictive models for gene expression. Then I will describe various aspects of networks. In particular, I will touch on the following topics: (1) I will show how analyzing the structure of the regulatory network indicates that it has a hierarchical layout with the 'middle-managers' acting as information-flow bottlenecks and with more 'influential' TFs on top. (2) I will show that most human variation occurs at the periphery of the network. (3) I will compare the topology and variation of the regulatory network to the call graph of a computer operating system, showing that they have different patterns of variation. (4) I will talk about web- based tools for the analysis of networks (TopNet and tYNA).

Mark Gerstein
Albert L. Williams
Professor of
Biomedical Informatics