[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Shi Yu, University of Chicago

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Tue Nov 6 09:29:32 CST 2012

When:     Tuesday, November 13 at 11 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, Room 526

Who:       Shi Yu (of the Institute for Genomics and Systems Biology,
University of Chicago

Title:        Global and Local Approach of Part-of-Speech Tagging for Large
Copora

Abstract:

We present Global-Local POS tagging, a framework to train generative
stochastic Part-of-Speech models on large corpora. Global Taggers offer
several advantages over their counter parts trained on small, curated
corpus, including the ability to automatically extend and update their
models to new text. Global Taggers also avoid a fundamental limitation of
current models, whose performance heavily relies on curated text with
manually assigned labels. We illustrate our approach by training several
Global Taggers, implemented with generative stochastic models, on two large
corpora using high performance computing architecture. We further
demonstrate that global taggers can be improved by incorporating models
trained on curated text, called Local Taggers, for better tagging
performance derived from specific topics.

Host: Kevin Gimpel, kgimpel at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Director of Human Resources and International Affairs

Toyota Technological Institute Chicago
6045 S Kenwood Ave
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone- (773) 702-5033