[Colloquium] TTIC Talks: Amir Nayyeri, UIUC

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Thu Mar 29 13:47:32 CDT 2012

REMINDER:

When:     Friday, March 30 @ 11 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, Room 526

Who:      Amir Nayyeri, UIUC

Title:      Combinatorial optimization on surfaces

Abstract:
Several problems in different branches of computer science (e.g. computer
graphics, computer vision, machine learning, sensor networks and
computational biology) are reduced to problems on  surfaces or surface
embedded graphs, which have been extensively studies by mathematicians and
recently computer scientists.

However, major algorithmic problems on surfaces are required to be
addressed yet, and the combination of ideas from geometry, topology and
algorithms seems to be the most promising way to progress in this regard.

In this talk, I will discuss algorithmic problems on surfaces and surface
embedded graphs and their possible applications.  Particularly, I will show
how we can borrow intuition and technique from geometry and algebraic
topology to tackle some of such problems.

Host: Yury Makarychev, yury at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Human Resources Coordinator