[Colloquium] REMINDER: Richard Stallman Talk on Monday, April 2nd

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 28 14:23:33 CDT 2012

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Monday, April 2, 2012
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Place: Assembly Hall
	   International House
	   1414 East 59th Street

Speaker:		Richard Stallman

From:		Free Software Foundation

Web page:	http://stallman.org/

Title: 		 Copyright vs. Community in the Age of Computer Networks

Abstract:		Copyright developed in the age of the printing press, and was designed to fit with the system of centralized copying imposed by the printing press. But the copyright system does not fit well with computer networks, and only draconian punishments can enforce it.

The global corporations that profit from copyright are lobbying for draconian punishments, and to increase their copyright powers, while suppressing public access to technology. But if we seriously hope to serve the only legitimate purpose of copyright—to promote progress, for the benefit of the public—then we must make changes in the other direction.