[Colloquium] CS TALK: Luciano da F. Costa, University of São Paulo on April 18

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 8 10:06:02 CST 2012

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:		Luciano da F. Costa

From:		University of São Paulo

Web page:	http://cyvision.ifsc.usp.br/~luciano/

Title: 		 Structure and Dynamics in Complex Systems

Abstract:		In this talk I present an overview of my research along the last decades, which includes image analysis, pattern recognition and complex networks.

Emphasis is placed on the importance of shape in defining the properties of natural and artificial complex systems.  The discussed application examples include but are not limited to the relationship between shape and function in neuronal networks, the accessibility of streets and undergrounds,  and disease spreading among roots and neurons.

Hosted by: Ridg Scott and Janos Simon

Refreshments will be served in Ryerson 255 following the talk at 3:30.