[Colloquium] TTIC Talks: Benjamin Moseley, UIUC

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Tue Jan 31 12:46:35 CST 2012

When:     Tuesday, February 2 @ 11 a.m.

Where:   TTIC Conference Room #526, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor

Who:      Benjamin Moseley, UIUC

Title:      Algorithms for Scheduling and Large Data Analysis

In this talk we will be concerned with designing algorithms for schedulers
and MapReduce.  The first part of the talk will be on scheduling
algorithms.   We will discuss recent developments on scheduling models and
performance metrics.  Our focus will be on the recent direction of
scheduling research and how it compares to past work.

The second portion of the talk will focus on designing algorithms for large
data analysis using MapReduce.  Recently, the MapReduce parallel computing
framework has become the de facto standard for processing large data. In
this talk we discuss the theoretical model of the MapReduce framework.  The
constraints of the MapReduce model pose several algorithmic challenges.  We
will introduce recent developments and key research questions related to
the theoretical foundations of MapReduce.  We will then introduce some
algorithmic ideas that can be used to design algorithms for MapReduce.

Host: Julia Chuzhoy, cjulia at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Human Resources Coordinator