[Colloquium] TTIC Talks: Garvesh Raskutti, UC Berkeley

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Tue Jan 31 12:32:05 CST 2012

*REMINDER:*

When:     Wednesday, February 1 @ 11 a.m.

Where:   TTIC Conference Room #526, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor

Who:      Garvesh Raskutti, UC Berkeley

Title:       Inference for large-scale models over kernel classes:
Computational and statistical aspects

Abstract
Large-scale inference problems, where the number of
features is growing with the sample size, have recently received a
significant amount of attention and research. Most of the past research on
the theory and methodology for large-scale inference problems has
involved assuming the data follows a parametric model. However for many
applications, the assumption that the response has a known parametric form
may be too restrictive. Kernel-based approaches provide an efficient way
to extend algorithms for parametric inference to algorithms for
non-parametric inference. My talk consists of two parts, both addressing
computational and statistical aspects of large-scale inference problems
using kernel methods. Firstly, I provide an analysis of sparse additive
models over kernel classes, a non-parametric generalization of sparse
linear models. In particular, I present a polynomial-time algorithm for
estimating sparse additive models that achieves minimax optimal rates in
mean-squared error. The second problem provides analysis of the early
stopping strategy applied to non-parametric regression over kernel
classes. My analysis yields a computable data-dependent stopping rule that
has minimax optimal mean-squared error rate. Both projects I present are
based on joint work with Professors Martin Wainwright and Bin Yu.

Host: Nati Srebro: nati at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Human Resources Coordinator