[Colloquium] CANDIDATE INTERVIEW TODAY: David Smith, Univ of Massachusetts

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 28 07:54:47 CST 2012

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:		David Smith

From:		University of Massachusetts

Web page:	http://www.cs.umass.edu/~dasmith/

Title: 		Inferring and Exploiting Relational Structure in Large Text Collections

Abstract: The digitization of knowledge and concerted retrospective scanning
projects are making overwhelming amounts of text in diverse domains,
genres, and languages available to readers and researchers. To make
this data useful, our group is working on improving OCR, language
modeling, syntactic analysis, information extraction, and information
retrieval. I will focus in particular on problems of inferring the
relational structure latent in large collections of documents, such as
books, web pages, patent applications, grant proposals, and social
media postings. Which books or passages quote, translate, paraphrase,
and cite each other? This research requires improvements in modeling
translation and other forms of similarity, as well as improvements in
efficiently comparing large numbers of passages. Finally, I will
discuss how passage similarity relations can be used to improve tasks
such as named-entity recognition and syntactic parsing.

Host: John Lafferty

Refreshments will be served in Ryerson 255 before the talk at 2:30.