[Colloquium] TTIC Talks: David Smith, UMass

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Mon Feb 20 09:51:49 CST 2012

When:     Monday, February 27 @ 11 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Who:       David Smith, UMass

Title:       Inferring and Exploiting Relational Structure in Large Text
Collections

The digitization of knowledge and concerted retrospective scanning
projects are making terabytes of text in diverse domains, genres, and
languages available to readers and researchers. To make this data
useful, our group is working on improving OCR, language modeling,
syntactic analysis, information extraction, and information retrieval.
I will focus in particular on problems of inferring the relational
structure latent in large collections of documents, such as books, web
pages, patent applications, grant proposals, and social media
postings. Which books or passages quote, translate, paraphrase, and
cite each other? This research requires improvements in modeling
translation and other forms of similarity, as well as improvements in
efficiently comparing large numbers of passages. Finally, I will
discuss how passage similarity relations can be used to improve tasks
such as named-entity recognition and syntactic parsing.

Host: Karen Livescu, klivescu at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Human Resources Coordinator