[Colloquium] CS Seminar Talk Today

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 17 08:24:43 CST 2012

Dr. Yao Zhang and Professor Andrew A. Chien

~REMINDER~

Monday, December 17th,

Ryerson 251 @  4pm

Title:  Nvidia's Kepler vs Intel's Xeon Phi: Which Accelerator will Rule the Future?

Abstract: A Debate about the Future of Accelerated Computing

Now that the quarter is over (soon!), come and join us for a debate of the about the two leading contenders for accelerating the future of computing, Nvidia's 1.3TFlop Kepler (#1 ranked on the Top 500 list) and Intel's 1Tflop Xeon Phi (#1 ranked on the Green 500 list).

We will with discuss this question with two advocates -- Dr. Yao

Zhang advocating Kepler and Dr. Andrew Chien advocating Xeon Phi.  The key technical elements of these two competing approaches will be described, laying out out the key features of these teraflop processors, and we will aggressively discuss their pros and cons.  Finally the two advocates will explain which of these accelerators will rule 2013, and whose descendants will rule the future (or at least beyond 2015).

Come and join us!  and when we're done, an audience vote will decide the question.

Audience participation encouraged, and we'll arrange for refreshments that encourage the discussion.

Hosted by the Large-scale Systems Group http://lssg.cs.uchicago.edu/