[Colloquium] SYSTEMS TALK: Yao Zhang, University of Chicago on April 27, 2012

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 10 12:02:15 CDT 2012

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Friday, April 27, 2012
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:		Yao Zhang

From:		University of Chicago

Web page:	http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~yaozhang/

Title: 		Performance Modeling and Autotuning for the GPU

Abstract:		With the advent of C-based programming environments like CUDA and OpenCL, the recent years saw a great deal of interest in developing high-performance general-purpose applications for GPUs. However, today’s performance tuning practice by GPU programmers still demands manual measurement and paper-and-pencil analysis. In this talk, we will present our work on GPU performance modeling. The model we developed is able to help GPU architects and programmers to identify performance bottlenecks, suggest them solutions, and quantitatively predict the effectiveness of the proposed solutions. We demonstrate our performance tool for a variety of numerical algorithms including dense/sparse matrix multiply and tridiagonal system solvers. We will also present our autotuning work for solving large tridiagonal linear systems. Finally, we will discuss current challenges and opportunities in model-based performance autotuning.
Biography:	Yao Zhang is a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Chicago. He is a member of the Large-Scale Systems Group (LSSG). He earned his Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California, Davis. He has broad interests in computer architecture, programming models, and parallel algorithms.

Hosted by: Andrew Chien

Refreshments will be served in Ryerson 255 following the talk at 3:30.