[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Yaser Sheikh, CMU

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Tue Sep 20 14:25:17 CDT 2011

When:     Monday, September 26 @ 11 a.m.

Where:   TTIC Conference Room #526, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor

Who:      Yaser Sheikh, CMU

Title:      Structure from Motion in the Wild: Towards Reconstructing

Active 3D Scenes from Moving Cameras

Abstract: Our social environments abound with activity: faces

expressing and emoting, people ambulating and gesticulating, and

vehicles locomoting. These same environments are increasingly being

imaged by cameras that people carry or wear. In this talk, I will

discuss research into reconstructing active environments from cameras

that may themselves be moving --- a problem that requires the marriage

of geometric reconstruction and statistical representation of

time-varying data.

I will first present an algorithm to reconstruct the motion of a

collection of cameras constrained by an underlying articulated

structure. The algorithm has been applied for motion capture using

multiple body-mounted cameras. Results will be shown in settings where

capture would be difficult with traditional motion capture systems,

including walking outside and swinging on monkey bars.

A central challenge in reconstructing active 3D structure is

representation. I will present trajectory-based models of active

objects and describe a closed form solution for the estimation of

time-varying 3D structure. I will conclude by motivating the use of

spatiotemporal models for representing active environments and

describe the significant open problems in the area.

Host: Raquel Urtasun, rurtasun at ttic.edu