[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: Interactions in Understanding the Universe (I2U2) - TODAY!

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 9 10:16:00 CDT 2011

Computation Institute- Data Lunch Seminar (DLS)

Speaker: Phong Nguyen, Fermilab
Date: September 9, 2011
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Location: The University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Avenue

Interactions in Understanding the Universe (I2U2)

Abstract:
Students today grow in a world rich with information and immersed in
computers. However, opportunities to explore advanced physics research
remain limited in the secondary school environment. I2U2 provides an
online e-learning framework to bring real science data to the school
community. The QuarkNet cosmic ray detector network, the Compact Muon
Solenoid experiment at the LHC and the Laser Interferometer Gravity
Wave Observatory experiment have all agreed to pool and share data in
I2U2. We harness the power of the Swift workflow system to dispatch
jobs to our local cluster and have longer-term plans to use the grid.
Recently, we have begun to use HTML5 to provide rich and responsive
client-side data interaction for some of our experiments.

Bio:
Phong Nguyen is the lead developer on I2U2. He received his BS in
Computer Science from University of South Florida in 2006 and
performed biological image processing in graduate studies. He also
interned at Verizon in their electronic learning group. He joined the
I2U2 collaboration at Fermilab in 2008.

Information: Lunch will be provided