[Colloquium] REMINDER: Seminar Announcement: Real-Time Optimization: Algorithms and Applications

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 31 10:56:20 CDT 2011

Computation Institute Presentation

Speaker: Victor M. Zavala, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory
Date: November 3, 2011 (Thursday)
Time: 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Location: The University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Ave., Argonne National Lab, TCS Building, Room 5172

Real-Time Optimization: Algorithms and Applications

Abstract:
In this talk, we review some recent developments in the area of real-time optimization. This optimization domain is motivated by applications where time-critical decisions under dynamic data environments are necessary. Applications include, among others, predictive control, energy management, signal processing, data assimilation, supply chain management, inventory control, options pricing, and game simulations. We discuss the technical needs and issues arising in these applications and explain how these motivate extensions to traditional optimization algorithms. In particular, we present strategies to accelerate solutions and ensure convergence to the real-time solution manifold. Finally, we discuss the application of real-time optimization strategies to building energy management and we describe an on-going deployment at Argonne's Advanced Photon Source office building where savings of up to 30% in HVAC energy have been obtained.

Information: This talk will be broadcast via the Access Grid at both locations - (Computation Institute) Searle/Room 240A and (Argonne) TCS Building 240/Room 5172