[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Justin Werfel, Harvard

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:37:46 CDT 2011

REMINDER:

When:     Monday, October 24 @ 11 a.m.

Where:   TTIC Conference Room #526, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor

Who:      Justin Werfel, Harvard

Title:      Collective Construction by Termites and Other Robots

The research goal of collective construction is to develop autonomous
multi-robot systems that build large-scale structures according to
user specifications.  I will discuss issues in the design of such
systems, and present TERMES, a system of climbing robots and passive
building blocks inspired by the construction activities of termites.
Robots act independently under decentralized control, using local
information, onboard sensing, and implicit coordination through
manipulation of a shared environment.  A user can specify a target
structure using a high-level representation, and robots follow simple
rules that guarantee the correct completion of that structure.  I will
close with a discussion of experimental studies of African termites,
aimed at better understanding their behaviors and how these affect the
structures they produce.

Host: Karen Livescu, klivescu at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader