[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Manas Pathak, CMU

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Mon Oct 10 09:33:54 CDT 2011

When:     Monday, October 17 @ 2 p.m.

Where:   TTIC Conference Room #526, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor

Who:      Manas Pathak, CMU

Title:      Privacy Preserving Speech Processing

Abstract: Speech is perhaps one of the most private forms of communication.
A person's speech conveys not only the message, but also the identity,
emotional state, and other such information that the speaker may not want to
reveal to anyone besides the intended audience. Privacy of speech has been
recognized legally as well; at many places it is illegal to record a
person's voice in public even when it is legal to record video.

Yet, in spite of the significant theoretical and practical advances in
security and privacy-enabling methodologies, little of it has been applied
to speech processing. In this talk I will present the privacy issues and our
solutions for speech processing applications including speaker
verification/identification and isolated-word speech recognition. I will
also introduce some of the tools and techniques from cryptography and
machine learning that we use and current research on improving the
efficiency and scalability of our solutions.

Host: Joseph Keshet, jkeshet at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Human Resources Coordinator