[Colloquium] TTIC Talks: Samy Bengio, Google

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Mon Nov 21 09:26:51 CST 2011

REMINDER:

When:    Tuesday, November 22 @ 11 a.m.

Where:   TTIC Conference Room #526, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor

Who:      Samy Bengio, Google

Title:     Learning A Semantic Space: From Image Annotation to Music Similarity

Abstract:
Image annotation datasets are becoming larger and larger, with tens of
millions of images and tens of thousands of possible annotations.
In the first part of the talk, I'll introduce WSABIE, a strongly
performing method that scales to such datasets by simultaneously
learning to optimize precision at k of the ranked list of annotations
for a given image and learning a low-dimensional joint embedding space
for both images and annotations.  Our method both outperforms several
baseline methods and, in comparison to them, is faster and consumes
less memory.  We also demonstrate how our method learns an
interpretable model, where annotations with alternate spellings or
even languages are close in the embedding space. Hence, even when our
model does not predict the exact annotation given by a human labeler,
it often predicts similar annotations.
In the second part of the talk, I'll show how the same approach,
WSABIE, can be extended to the multi-task case, where one learns
simultaneously to embed in the same space various music related
information such as artist names, music genres, and audio tracks in
order to optimize different but related costs.

Host: Joseph Keshet, jkeshet at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Human Resources Coordinator