[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Moses Charikar, Princeton University

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Thu Nov 17 09:21:58 CST 2011

REMINDER:

When:     Friday, November 18 @ 11 a.m.

Where:   TTIC Conference Room #526, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor

Who:      Moses Charikar, Princeton University

Title:       Dimension Reduction in L_1

Given a set of n points in a normed space, how many dimensions are
needed to represent all distances within a specific distortion ? This
dimension-distortion tradeoff is well understood for the L_2 norm,
where O(log n) dimensions suffice to preserve distances almost
exactly. In sharp contrast, the situation for L_1 is far from
understood and there is a significant gap between upper and lower
bounds. In this talk, I will survey what we currently know about
dimension reduction in L_1 and present the first near linear lower
bounds for this question.

Host: Yury Makarychev, yury at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader