[Colloquium] TODAY! Seminar Announcement: Techniques and Applications for Large-Scale Text Processing: Federation, Aggregation, etc.

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri May 20 06:28:00 CDT 2011

Computation Institute- Data Lunch Seminar (DLS)

Speaker: Mark Olsen and Richard Whaling, ARTFL Project, The University
of Chicago
Host: Tanu Malik
Date: May 20, 2011
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Location: The University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Avenue

Techniques and Applications for Large-Scale Text Processing:
Federation, Aggregation, etc.

Abstract:
"How do we build a generally useful data store for the humanities?
The set of interesting textual phenomena is probably non-finite, and
as a result, the representation of textual information varies
significantly across collections. What structure do these texts have
in common? How do we present common structure and metadata that's
abstracted away from particular encodings? And how do we do this in a
scalable, efficient manner?

The ARTFL Project will present one approach to solving these problems,
utilizing various open Web standards and architectural styles, as
embodied in PhiloLogic, our open-source text database system. We'll
also demonstrate some recent research results using a variety of data
mining techniques."

Bios:
"Mark Olsen is the Assistant Director of the ARTFL Project at the
University of Chicago. Mark received his Ph.D. in French history from
the University of Ottawa in 1991 and has been involved in digital
humanities and computer-aided text analysis since the mid-1980s. His
current ambition is to write a biography of the Marquis de Pastoret by
candle-light with a quill.

Richard Whaling is the Lead Programmer at the ARTFL Project, as well
as a graduate student in the Computer Science Professional Program.
He primarily works on search algorithms for large, strange text
collections."

Information: Lunch will be provided