[Colloquium] Zhang/MS Presentation/Jun 2, 2011

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue May 17 11:37:56 CDT 2011

This is an announcement of Zhao Zhang's MS Presentation.

Date:  Thursday, June 2, 2011

Time:  11:00 AM

Place:  Searle 240A

M.S. Candidate:  Zhao Zhang

M.S. Paper Title: Bridging the Gaps between Many-task Computing and
Supercomputers

Abstract:
Many Task Computing, an emerging programming paradigm on
supercomputers, embraces many applications in such domains as biology,
economics, and statistics, as well as data intensive computations and
uncertainty quantification. Its high inter-task parallelism and
intense data processing features place new challenges on the existing
hardware-software stack on supercomputers. Those new challenges
include resource provisioning, job scheduling, load balancing, data
management, and resiliency. In this paper, we identify Many-Task
Computing middleware gaps between the applications and supercomputer's
hardware-software stack by examining their characteristics. Based on
this analysis, we propose various solutions for each of the gaps. By
evaluating the solutions, we show the pros and cons of each solution
and the respective conditions. We also conducted a preliminary study
of real applications, and we will show how the proposed solutions
enhance the efficiency and scalability of the well known domain
science applications.

Zhao's advisor is Prof. Ian Foster

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#zhaozhang

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu