[Colloquium] TTIC Talk: Ali Farhadi, UIUC

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Thu Mar 31 14:10:52 CDT 2011

When:    *Tuesday, April 5 @ 1 pm*

Where:   *TTIC Conference Room #526*, 6045 S. Kenwood Ave, 5th Floor

Who:     *Ali Farhadi*, UIUC

Title:      *Better Recognition with Richer Representations*

Object recognition is now becoming a usable technology. When it is used in
applications, fundamental questions arise: What should we recognize in
images? What are the desirable outcomes of a recognition system? What should
we say if we encounter an unfamiliar object? ...
In this talk I focus on representational architectures that enable us to
provide deeper and richer descriptions for images. These descriptions are in
forms of properties of objects, their functions, and complex relationships
between entities in images. I introduce visual attributes and show the
benefits of adopting an attribute-centric framework in describing  familiar
and unfamiliar objects. I then explain a nonparametric approach that
provides concise image descriptions in form of natural language sentences.
This method uses the predictions of all objects, actions, and scenes to
establish a scoring function between an image and a sentence. To enhance
image descriptions, I introduce visual phrases; chunks of meanings bigger
than objects and smaller than scenes. Further, I show how learning visual
phrases directly helps recognition significantly. Finally, I explain a
decoding algorithm that decides on the final outcome of our recognition
system using predictions of objects and visual phrases.

Host: Raquel Urtasun, rurtasun at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader
Faculty Services