[Colloquium] TTIC Talks: Anand Sarwate, UCSD

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:58:43 CDT 2011

When:      *Friday, April 1 @ 11*

Where:     *TTIC Conference Room #526*, 6045 S. Ingleside Ave, 5th Floor

Who:      * Anand Sarwate*, UCSD

Title:       * Gathering, Synthesizing, and Learning from Private
Information*

The explosion of digital information and requires new tools to glean
patterns from massive data sets, coordinate resources, and build cooperative
processing systems.  These techniques will impact applications as diverse as
medical informatics, data center management, and next-generation wireless
systems.  I will discuss two lines of work in this talk.  In the first part
I will discuss my work on the problem of achieving consensus in a
distributed system.  We have analyzed the effect of routing and mobility in
these networks on the convergence speed of distributed asynchronous
consensus protocols.  My second line of work is related to emerging problems
in medical informatics.  The digitization of health records makes it
possible to perform studies on with sample sizes far larger than in  current
practice.  However, because these studies involve very sensitive
information, we must design new privacy-sensitive statistical analyses.  I
will describe some new algorithms for privacy-preserving machine learning
and evaluate the tradeoffs between privacy and accuracy.  In particular, we
develop privacy-preserving classification algorithms in the Empirical Risk
Minimization (ERM) framework, which includes the well-known Support Vector
Machine (SVM).  We validate our theoretical results with experiments on
standard data sets.  I will also discuss ongoing work on incorporating these
and other privacy techniques into the new iDash Center and Clinical Data
Warehouse at UCSD School of Medicine.  I will close with some future
perspectives on distributed, secure, and privacy-preserving computation and
communication protocols.

Host: Nati Srebro, nati at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader