[Colloquium] TTIC Talks: Karteek Alahari, École Normale Supérieure

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Fri Jun 24 15:13:04 CDT 2011

When:     Wednesday, June 29th @ 1:15 p.m.

Where:   TTIC Conference Room #526, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor

Who:      Karteek Alahari, École Normale Supérieure

Title:     An Energy Minimization Framework for Scene Understanding

One of the grand goals of computer vision is to interpret a scene
semantically given an image. It involves various individual tasks,
such as object recognition, image segmentation, object detection, and
3D scene recovery. Substantial progress has been made in each of these
tasks in the past few years. In light of these successes, the
challenging problem now is to put these individual elements together
to achieve the grand goal -- "scene understanding", a problem which
has received increasing attention recently, with the introduction of
applications such as Google Street View, Microsoft Bing maps. We
address the problems of "what", "where", and "how many" in scenes: we
recognize objects, find their location and spatial extent, segment
them, and also provide the number of instances of objects. We
formulate this problem in an energy minimization framework, defined on
pixels, segments, and objects, and give each of them a label. In the
latter part of the talk, we will also look at some of our recent
extensions to video segmentation.

http://www.di.ens.fr/~alahari/

Host:  Devi Parikh, dparikh at ttic.edu

--