[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: Compact Representations of Stochastic Multi-Agent Planning Problems - TODAY!

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 29 09:23:10 CDT 2011

Computation Institute- Data Lunch Seminar (DLS)

Speaker: Josh Bryan, Computation Institute, The University of Chicago
Host: Tanu Malik
Date: July 29, 2011
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Location: The University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Avenue

Compact Representations of Stochastic Multi-Agent Planning Problems

Abstract: Many problems, ranging from automated driving to online
poker, require an agent to estimate the state of a system and
formulate a plan with incomplete information. Partially Observable
Markov Decision Processes (POMDPs) provide a rich planning and
modeling framework for agents in stochastic environments with
incomplete information. Furthermore, Interactive POMDPs (I-POMDPs)
extend this framework to include interactions with other agents in the
environment. Unfortunately, planning and state estimation in partially
observable domains have several sources of complexity. Often, the
space of possible states of the system may be large, unknown, or even
infinite. Another source of complexity is that the number of plans
that must be considered is exponential in the number actions and
observations that may be received by the agent. One way to handle
filtering in these domains is to use Monte Carlo methods such as
particle filters. However, even when sampling techniques ar e
employed, it may still be computationally difficult to employ enough
samples to adequately represent the distribution over states. To
tackle these issues, in our research we explore ways to collapse the
state, action, and observation spaces of I-POMDPs using first order
logic. By using first order logic to exploit regularity in some
domains, we are able to efficiently plan in more complex systems.

Bio:
Josh Bryan was born in Missouri and where he attended highschool. He
earned his B.A. in computer science from the University of Missouri at
Columbia. After a few years working as a software engineer at various
firms, he returned to school at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
After receiving a Masters in Computer Science, he continued as a Ph.D.
student under Dr. Piotr Gmytrasiewicz. Today, he is working at the CI
as a programmer while finishing his dissertation at UIC.

Information: Lunch will be provided