[Colloquium] JOB TALK: Miriah Meyer, Harvard on March 16th

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 27 09:13:48 CST 2011

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:		Miriah Meyer

From:		Harvard University

Web page:	http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~miriah/

Title: 		Visualizing Biological Data

Abstract:  	Visualization tools are essential for deriving meaning from the avalanche of data we are generating today. To facilitate an understanding of the complex relationships embedded in this data, visualization research leverages the power of the human perceptual and cognitive systems, encoding meaning through images and enabling exploration through human-computer interactions. In my research I design visualization systems that support exploratory, complex data analysis tasks by biologists who are analyzing large amounts of heterogeneous data. These systems allow users to validate their computational models, to understand their underlying data in detail, and to develop new hypotheses and insights. My research process includes five distinct stages, from targeting a specific group of domain experts and their scientific goals through validating the efficacy of the visualization system.  In this talk I'll describe a user-centered, methodological approach to designing and developing visualization tools and present several successful visualization projects in the areas of genomics and systems biology. I will also discuss the long term implications of this work and the field of visualization as a whole.

Host: 		Ridg Scott

Refreshments will be served following the talk at 3:30 in Ryerson 255.