[Colloquium] REMINDER-- MONDAY 2/28: Statistics Seminar: J. M. LANDSBERG, Monday, February 28, 2011, at 4:00 PM, in Eckhart 133.

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 25 15:06:26 CST 2011

The University of Chicago
Department of Statistics
Seminar Series

J. M. LANDSBERG
Department of Mathematics
Texas A& M University

Statistics and the Geometry of Tensors
MONDAY, February 28, 2011, at 4:00 PM

133 Eckhart Hall, 5734 S. University Avenue
Refreshments following the seminar in Eckhart 110.

ABSTRACT

I will describe how problems such as blind source separation and the
reconstruction of evolutionary trees lead to questions in geometry. In the first case, quantities
such as kurtosis (or more generally cumulants), viewed as homogeneous polynomials, need to be
decomposed into sums of powers, which leads to the study of symmetric tensor rank. In the
second, the field of algebraic statistics attempts to find polynomials that vanish on
(multidimensional) tables with specified statistical behavior. Then I will survey results, old and
new, from geometry relevant to these questions.

For further information and about building access for persons with disabilities, please contact Laura Rigazzi at 773.702.8333 or send email (lrigazzi at galton.uchicago.edu). If you
wish to subscribe to our email list, please visit the following website: https//lists.uchicago.edu/web/info/statseminars.