[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: Data Management in Behavioral and Neurological Sciences-TODAY!

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 11 10:51:00 CST 2011

Computation Institute-Computational Knowledge Synthesis

Speaker: Michael Lusignan, Graduate Student, Department of Organismal
Biology and Anatomy (Margoliash Lab)
Date: February 11, 2011
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Location: The University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Avenue

Data Management in Behavioral and Neurological Sciences

Abstract: Many experimental paradigms in the biological sciences
accumulate substantial amounts of data of various types. In my work, I
collect behavioral and neurological data over entire song ontogenies
in zebra finches, from independence to adulthood. Data acquistiion
over this lengthy time scale generates substantial amounts of data,
and this volume presents significant challenges in collection,
storage, analysis, and visualization. In this talk, I plan to present
our experimental paradigm and the computational issues encountered. I
will discuss how we currently address these needs and hope to solicit
suggestions for alternatives.

Bio:
Michael Lusignan is a graduate student in the Committee on
Computational Neuroscience. He investigates the neural basis of song
acquisition in the lab of Daniel Margoliash.

Information: Lunch will be provided.