[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Pascal Fua, EPFL

Liv Leader lleader at ttic.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:31:58 CST 2011

When:         *Wednesday, February 16th @ 1*

Where:        *TTIC Conference Room #526*, 6045 S. Kenwood Ave, 5th Floor

Who:           *Pascal Fua*, EPFL

Title:           *Modeling Brain Circuitry using Scales Ranging from
Micrometer to Nanometer      *

Electron microscopes (EM) can now provide the nanometer resolution that is
needed to image synapses, and therefore connections, while Light Microscopes
(LM) see at the micrometer resolution required to model the 3D structure of
the dendritic network. Since both the arborescence and the connections are
integral parts of the brain's wiring diagram, combining these two modalities
is critically important.

In this talk, I will therefore present our approach to building the
dendritic arborescence and to tracking migrating neurons from LM images, as
well as to segmenting intra-neuronal structures from EM images. I will also
argue that the techniques that are in wide usage in the Computer Vision and
Machine Learning community are just as applicable in this context.

*BIO: Pascal Fua received an engineering degree from Ecole Polytechnique,
Paris, in 1984 and the Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University
of Orsay in 1989. He joined EPFL (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) in
1996 where he is now a Professor in the School of Computer and Communication
Science. Before that, he worked at SRI International and at INRIA
Sophia-Antipolis as a Computer Scientist. His research interests include
shape modeling and motion recovery from images, analysis of microscopy
images, and Augmented Reality. He has (co)authored over 150 publications in
refereed journals and conferences. He has been an associate editor of IEEE
journal Transactions for Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence and has
often been a program committee member, area chair, and program chair of
major vision conferences.

Host: Raquel Urtasun, rurtasun at ttic.edu

--
Liv Leader