[Colloquium] Distinguished Lecture Series: Jens Palsberg on May 11, 2011

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 19 08:44:06 CDT 2011

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:		Jens Palsberg

From:		University of California, Los Angeles

Web page:	http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~palsberg/

Title: 		Towards 2020 Parallel Programming.

Abstract:  	The rise of multicore computers and clusters requires
more and more programmers to do parallel programming.
Their task is difficult because todays programming abstractions
are low-level and error-prone, and lead to wildly varying
performance on different parallel computers.
We need high-level and safe abstractions that
can deliver high performance on a variety of computer systems.
We have such abstractions for sequential programming;
why are they hard to find for parallel programming?
We will discuss the problems faced by designers of
parallel languages and we will examine the state of the art.
Many problems remain to be solved before students can learn
parallel programming just as easily as sequential programming.

About the speaker:  Jens Palsberg is Professor and Chair of
Computer Science at UCLA, University of California, Los Angeles.
His research interests span the areas of compilers, embedded systems,
programming languages, software engineering, and information security.
He is the editor-in-chief of ACM Transactions of Programming Languages
and Systems, a member of the editorial board of Information and Computation,
a former member of the editorial board of IEEE Transactions on
Software Engineering, and a former conference program chair of
POPL, SAS, TACAS, and EMSOFT.

Host: 		John Reppy

Refreshments will be served following the talk at 3:30 in Ryerson 255.