[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: BUILDING AN ONCOLOGY KNOWLEDGE BASE - Today!!

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 14 10:23:18 CDT 2011

Computation Institute Presentation

Speaker: Dr. Olufunmilayo (Funmi) I. Olopade M.D, FACP, Director,
Center for Clinical Cancer Genetics & Global Health, Dept. Med. and
Human Genetics
Date: April 14, 2011
Time: 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Location: The University of Chicago, Searle 240, 5735 S. Ellis Avenue,
Argonne National Lab, TCS/Room 5C2 (5172)

BUILDING AN ONCOLOGY KNOWLEDGE BASE

With an estimated 1,152,161 new cases diagnosed worldwide per year, we
are focusing our cancer control efforts on personalized approaches as
a strategy for further reducing the morbidity and mortality associated
with breast cancer. We and others have made the observation that young
women of all racial/ethnic backgrounds and women with germline BRCA1
mutations, are more likely to be diagnosed with high grade, ER-
negative tumors, with their attendant aggressiveness and higher
mortality rates. For more than a decade, we have worked on improving
access to cancer risk assessment and genetic testing which has
accelerated our ability to improve the survival of high-risk women
through early detection and the ability to optimize multimodality
therapy. However, too many women, especially African Americans on the
Southside of Chicago are still being diagnosed with aggressive triple
negative breast cancer and are in dire need of innovative treatment
approaches. Within the University of Chicago Breast program, we are
committed to finding ways to optimize therapeutic options for women at
risk of dying from breast cancer. We have embarked on a large-scale
effort to develop image based and tissue based biomarkers for risk
assessment. For women diagnosed with breast cancer, whether inherited
or sporadic, prognostic or predictive information is most useful when
coupled with targeted therapeutic approaches, very few of which exist
for the most aggressive breast cancers. The challenge for the future
is to learn to use molecular characteristics of an individual and
their tumor to improve detection and treatment, and ultimately to
reduce mortality from breast cancer.

The unifying premise of integrative epidemiology is that the same
genes that are implicated in cancer risk may also be involved in a
person’s propensity to carcinogenic exposure and/or to modulation of
therapeutic outcome. Based on this notion, we are constructing somatic
and germline genetic profiles that can be used to assess risk, to
individualize therapy, and to increase our understanding of the
complex role of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors in breast
cancer etiology and progression. Our current work builds on resources
of the Nigerian Breast Cancer Study and the University of Chicago
Breast SPORE. The goal is to answer several overarching, related
research questions including 1) Why are women of African ancestry more
likely to develop triple-negative breast cancer? 2) What are the
complex roles of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors in
breast cancer etiology and progression? 3) Can we build an oncology
knowledge base using a robust web-based applic ation interface that
integrates data from multiple sites and allows us to track any
individual’s phenotypic data, genotypic data, clinical data and
available bio-samples through a single computation platform. The
project and resulting resources will become invaluable in identifying
the multiple interacting genetic and non-genetic factors that have
implications for early detection, prognosis and treatment of breast
cancer in ALL women.