[Colloquium] Research at TTIC Seminar Series: Raquel Urtasun

Julia MacGlashan jam at ttic.edu
Tue Nov 30 15:17:10 CST 2010

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

When:  Friday, Dec 3. Refreshments @ 12:15, Talk begins at 12:30 PM

Who:  Raquel Urtasun

Title:  3D Urban Scene Understanding from Movable Platforms

3D scene understanding is key for the success of applications such as
autonomous driving and robot navigation. However, existing approaches
either produce a mild level of understanding, e.g., segmentation, object
detection, or are not accurate enough for these applications, e.g., 3D
pop-ups. In this talk I’ll show a generative model of 3D urban scenes that
takes into account dependencies between static and dynamic features, and is
able to infer the geometric (e.g., street orientation) and topological
(e.g., number of intersecting streets) properties of the scene layout, as
well as the semantic activities occurring in the scene, e.g., traffic
situations at an intersection. Furthermore, I’ll show that this global level
of understanding provides the context necessary to disambiguate current
state-of-the-art detectors.
This is joint work with Andreas Geiger and Martin Lauer.