[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Andew Gallagher, Eastman Kodak Company

Julia MacGlashan macglashan at tti-c.org
Tue Nov 9 13:29:09 CST 2010

When:             *Monday, Nov 15 @ 1:00 PM*
                      **
Where:           * TTIC Conference Room #526*, 6045 S Kenwood Ave, 5th Floor

Who:               *Andew Gallagher*, Eastman Kodak Company

Title:                *The Loop: People and Computer Vision*

When we see other humans, we can quickly make judgments such as their
demographic description and identity if they are familiar to us. We can
answer questions related to the activities of, emotional states of, and
relationships between people in an image. We draw conclusions based not just
on what we see, but also from a lifetime of experience of living and
interacting with other people. Even simple, common sense knowledge such as
the fact that children are smaller than adults allows us to better
understand the roles of the people we see. In this work, we propose
contextual features, drawn from a variety of sources, and models for
understanding images of people with the objective of providing computers
with access to the same contextual information that humans use.

Further, we show that computer vision can play a role in helping us learn
about people. We now are able to see millions of candid images of people on
the Internet. Using computer vision techniques, we are able to gain insight
into the lives of people, and their behavior in social situations, that
simply was not possible before.

This work shows that people act in predictable ways, for example that human
patterns of association contain regular structure that can be effectively
modeled and learned. From a broad perspective, this work presents a loop in
that our knowledge about people can help computer vision algorithms, and
computer vision can help us learn more about people.

Host:             Devi Parikh (dparikh at ttic.edu) and Dhruv Batra (
dbatra at ttic.edu)