[Colloquium] REMINDER: Talk by Greg Shakhnarovich Today

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 12 09:14:10 CST 2010

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Greg Shakhnarovich

From:		TTI - Chicago

Web page:	http://ttic.uchicago.edu/~gregory/

Title: Supervised Learning of Similarity

Abstract: The ability to assess similarity between two objects, and to find in a database examples similar to a given instance, is central to many statistical learning methods. In many cases, using an “off-the-shelf” distance in the input space to measure similarity does not capture the concept of similarity relevant to the task at hand. Instead, much attention has recently been paid to the idea of learning similarity or distance from user-provided examples of what is deemed similar (and, optionally, dissimilar). In this talk, I will describe methods that rely on greedy construction algorithms, and are aimed at learning an embedding of data into a metric space where the underlying similarity is explicit, and thus easy to evaluate. I will also discuss application of these methods to problems in computer vision, where the use of learned similarity proves helpful.
Last modified: November 24, 2009

Please note that refreshments will be served prior to the talk at 2:30 in RY 255.