[Colloquium] REMINDER: Juliana Freire Talk Today

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 9 08:31:10 CDT 2010

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Friday, April 9, 2010
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Juliana Freire

From:		University of Utah

Web page:	http://www.cs.utah.edu/~juliana

Title: Managing Provenance for Reproducibility and Beyond

Abstract: Computing has been an enormous accelerator to science and industry alike and it has led to an information explosion in many different fields. The unprecedented volume of data acquired by sensors, derived by simulations and analysis processes, and shared on the Web opens up new opportunities, but it also creates many challenges when it comes to managing and analyzing these data.  In this talk, I discuss the importance of maintaining detailed provenance (also referred to as lineage and pedigree) for digital data. Provenance provides important documentation that is key to preserve data, to determine the data's quality and authorship, to understand, reproduce, as well as validate results. Besides presenting techniques we have developed to efficiently manage and re-use provenance information, I will give an overview of the provenance infrastructure we have built for the open-source VisTrails system (http://www.vistrails.org). I will also describe emerging applications and novel uses of provenance for enabling collaborative data analysis, teaching science, and publishing reproducible results.

Bio:	Juliana Freire is an Associate Professor at the School of Computing at the University of Utah. An important theme is Professor Freire's work is the development of data management technology to address new problems introduced by emerging applications, including the Web and e-Science.  Her recent research has focused on two main topics: scientific data management and Web mining.  Within scientific data management, she is best known for her work in provenance and scientific workflows, and for being a co-creator of the open-source VisTrails system. In Web mining, her research has spanned several topics, including focused Web crawling, deep-Web information discovery, retrieval, and integration.  Professor Freire is an active member of the database and Web research communities, having co-authored over 100 technical papers and holding 4 U.S. patents.  She is a recipient of an NSF CAREER and an IBM Faculty award.  She has has participated as a program committee member in over 60 events and she is program chair for the World Wide Web Conference 2010. Her research has been funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, National Institutes of Health, the University of Utah, and gifts from Microsoft Research, Yahoo! and IBM.