[Colloquium] REMINDER: Talk by Janos Simon Today

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 20 08:38:40 CDT 2009

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:	Janos Simon

From:		University of Chicago

Web page:	http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/people/simon

Title: Sorting by Random Insertion

Abstract: We analyze the number of comparisons made by the following
randomized sorting algorithm: While the array is not sorted, choose a
pair of elements and compare them. At each stage we choose uniformly
at random among the pairs whose relationship was not determined by the
previous stages. We obtain matching asymptotic upper and lower bounds.

Joint work with Mark Braverman.

The reception will be held prior to the talk in RY 255 at 2:30.