[Colloquium] CANCELLLED: Arkadev Chattapadhyay Talk on November 17th

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 16 09:12:46 CST 2009

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:	Arkadev Chattapadhyay

From:		University of Toronto

Website: 	http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~achatt3/

Title: 	 Linear systems over composite moduli

Abstract:  We study solution sets to systems of 'generalized' linear
equations of the form \ell_i (x_1, x_2,..., x_n) \in A_i  (mod m)
where \ell_1,...,\ell_t are linear forms in n Boolean variables, each
A_i is an arbitrary subset of Z_m, and m is a composite integer that
is a product of two distinct primes, like 6. Our main technical result
is that such solution sets have exponentially small correlation, i.e.
\exp(-\Omega(n)), with the boolean function MOD_q, when m and q are
relatively prime. This bound is independent of the number t of
equations.

This yields  progress on limiting the power of constant-depth circuits
with modular gates. We derive the first exponential lower bound on the
size of depth-three circuits of type MAJ of AND of MOD_m^A (i.e.
having a MAJORITY gate at the top, AND/OR gates at the middle layer
and generalized MOD_m gates at the base) computing the function MOD_q.
This settles an open problem of Beigel and Maciel (Complexity'97), for
the case of such modulus m.

Our technique makes use of the work of Bourgain (2005) on estimating
exponential sums involving a low-degree polynomial and ideas involving
matrix rigidity from the work of Grigoriev and Razborov (FOCS'98) on
'arithmetic circuits' over finite fields.

Refreshments will be held in RY 255 prior to the talk at 2:30.